‘Maoist link with NE militant outfits out in open’
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Friday asserted that the presence of Maoists and their nexus with other militant outfits of the Northeast region is now out in the open following the encounter at Sadiya along Arunachal Pradesh border.
"The killing of four Maoists at Sadiya in Upper Assam has brought their presence out in the open and ULFA`s Commander- in-Chief Paresh Barua extending moral support to them also confirms that they are hand in glove with militant outfits of the region," Gogoi told reporters here.
The Maoists are "spreading their wings by establishing their network in all the upper Assam districts and are now planning to spread in the lower Assam areas", the chief minister claimed.
He asserted there are reports that the Maoists were also receiving training from other militant outfits of the region like NSCN(IM).
But this, he said, was not within Assam and they were "taking advantage of the prevailing ceasefire conditions with the outfits".
He also urged the Centre to extend the same support to the region, like special schemes and joint operations as being given to the Naxal-affected states in tackling the problem.
"To counter these forces, we will have to conduct operations not only in Assam but also in neighbouring states like Arunachal Pradesh. And for this reason I openly support National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC) as joint operations are necessary to root out the problem," he added.
The Centre must take the states into confidence while implementing the NCTC and steps should be taken to ensure that it is not misused, Gogoi said.
"In Assam, the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) is in force but there have been very few instances of misuse of the Act in the state," he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference