‘Maoist link with NE militant outfits out in open’
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Friday asserted that the presence of Maoists and their nexus with other militant outfits of the Northeast region is now out in the open following the encounter at Sadiya along Arunachal Pradesh border.
"The killing of four Maoists at Sadiya in Upper Assam has brought their presence out in the open and ULFA`s Commander- in-Chief Paresh Barua extending moral support to them also confirms that they are hand in glove with militant outfits of the region," Gogoi told reporters here.
The Maoists are "spreading their wings by establishing their network in all the upper Assam districts and are now planning to spread in the lower Assam areas", the chief minister claimed.
He asserted there are reports that the Maoists were also receiving training from other militant outfits of the region like NSCN(IM).
But this, he said, was not within Assam and they were "taking advantage of the prevailing ceasefire conditions with the outfits".
He also urged the Centre to extend the same support to the region, like special schemes and joint operations as being given to the Naxal-affected states in tackling the problem.
"To counter these forces, we will have to conduct operations not only in Assam but also in neighbouring states like Arunachal Pradesh. And for this reason I openly support National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC) as joint operations are necessary to root out the problem," he added.
The Centre must take the states into confidence while implementing the NCTC and steps should be taken to ensure that it is not misused, Gogoi said.
"In Assam, the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) is in force but there have been very few instances of misuse of the Act in the state," he added.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- 2,508 cities selected under PM's scheme for affordable housing
- NEET 2016: From schedule to state governments' position to results announcement - All you need to know
- Twitter launches 'Connect' to help you find friends
- Hotness alert! Latest pic of Shah Rukh Khan's son Aryan will leave you drooling
- Can you believe this? Bullet train fare 1.5 times higher than AC 1st Class