Maoist problem is the biggest security threat: CRPF
Agartala: Maoist problem is the biggest security threat in the country now, DG CRPF Pranay Sahay said on Monday.
"Maoist problem is the biggest security threat in the country. Thirty-five per cent of CRPF forces are deployed in different parts of Maoist-hit areas for containing their militancy," Sahay said.
He met Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar and Governor Dr D Y Patil here.
He said, "Thirty-five per cent of CRPF forces are in Maoist infested areas. Thirty-three per cent of the forces are deployed in Jammu and Kashmir and 28 per cent are in North-East India and the rest are in other duties."
He said CRPF was being modernised to face any challenge.
"Now we have started using very sophisticated weapons and unmanned vehicles to detect mines as part of modernisation programmes so that we can face any eventuality," Sahay told reporters.
Sahay, who is also the former DG of Tripura Police said, "There has been a sea change in Tripura. It has emerged as the model state in the country in countering insurgency."
Tripura owned President`s Colour last year. It is an honour given by President for successfully countering militancy in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!