Maoists formed forum to resist big dams: Gogoi
Guwahati: Maoists have formed an anti-dam
front and were participating in the protest against the Lower
Subansiri hydro-electric project in Assam, Chief Minister
Tarun Gogoi said on Thursday.
"We have received intelligence report from the union
home ministry that the Maoists have formed a front as `Mega
Dam Resistance Forum` to oppose big dams in the state", Gogoi
told reporters here.
They formed the front about two years ago as per the
ministry report, he said.
Asked if the Maoists were leading the agitation, Gogoi
said, "Many organisations are opposing big dams and the forum
is also involved in a major way".
"They (the Forum) does not oppose the big dams being
constructed in China as their resistance to the ones built
here will benefit that country," the chief minister said.
"China will divert our water if we do not implement
our right of use of water resources in the absence of an
international treaty on use of water resources", Gogoi said.
"The Subansiri Project does not displace any people,"
Stating the government was concerned about people
being displaced by construction of big dams, any industry,
exploration activities, etc., Gogoi said, both the central and
state governments would form Dam Safety Regulatory Authority
for giving compensation to the affected people.
Asked if the construction work of the Subansiri
Project by the NHPC was halted due to the anti-dam protests,
he said, "whether they construct or not is their headache. We
will take action if they inform us that they are being
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing