Maoists threaten to punish accused facing molestation charges
Imphal: Militant outfit Maoist Communist Party Manipur has said it will give "befitting punishment" to three youths who allegedly molested a 16-year-old school girl when she was returning to her village to celebrate Christmas in Senapati hill district of Manipur on December 24.
An MCPM statement, dated December 27 and made available to the press today, said the crime committed by the three youths was "unpardonable" as their act was not only outrageous but was also intended to drive a wedge between the indigenous people of the hill and valley in Manipur.
Official sources said three youths -- Angom Chandra, Khaidem Kunjo and Tensubam Amitkumar -- all aged 21, were arrested for allegedly molesting a girl at Napet Palli area in Imphal east district while the victim, along with friends, was returning to their village, Risophung, near Napet Palli, in Senapati district on December 24.
Police said the three, who offered to escort the girl posing as members of a militant outfit, were now in Lamlai police station for further investigation.
Several social organisations, including All Manipur Students Union (AMSU), United Committee Manipur (UCM) and International Peace and Solidarity Advancement (IPSA), strongly condemned the incident and demanded exemplary punishment to the three.
The organisations, in separate statements, said the state was facing a series of agitations, including general strike by several social organisations against the alleged molestation of a Manipuri film actress by a Naga militant of NSCN-IM, identified as Livingstone Anal, in public view during a musical concert at Chandel district on December 18 and the December 24 incident had added fuel to the fire.
Police viewed the threat by MSCP `very seriously` as it may mean shooting the accused to death by the militants. Steps were being taken to speed up the investigation in the case to prosecute the three as per provisions of the law, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official
- PM Narendra Modi condemns attack on Kabul`s American University
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors