Maoists threaten to punish accused facing molestation charges
Imphal: Militant outfit Maoist Communist Party Manipur has said it will give "befitting punishment" to three youths who allegedly molested a 16-year-old school girl when she was returning to her village to celebrate Christmas in Senapati hill district of Manipur on December 24.
An MCPM statement, dated December 27 and made available to the press today, said the crime committed by the three youths was "unpardonable" as their act was not only outrageous but was also intended to drive a wedge between the indigenous people of the hill and valley in Manipur.
Official sources said three youths -- Angom Chandra, Khaidem Kunjo and Tensubam Amitkumar -- all aged 21, were arrested for allegedly molesting a girl at Napet Palli area in Imphal east district while the victim, along with friends, was returning to their village, Risophung, near Napet Palli, in Senapati district on December 24.
Police said the three, who offered to escort the girl posing as members of a militant outfit, were now in Lamlai police station for further investigation.
Several social organisations, including All Manipur Students Union (AMSU), United Committee Manipur (UCM) and International Peace and Solidarity Advancement (IPSA), strongly condemned the incident and demanded exemplary punishment to the three.
The organisations, in separate statements, said the state was facing a series of agitations, including general strike by several social organisations against the alleged molestation of a Manipuri film actress by a Naga militant of NSCN-IM, identified as Livingstone Anal, in public view during a musical concert at Chandel district on December 18 and the December 24 incident had added fuel to the fire.
Police viewed the threat by MSCP `very seriously` as it may mean shooting the accused to death by the militants. Steps were being taken to speed up the investigation in the case to prosecute the three as per provisions of the law, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow