Maoists threaten to punish accused facing molestation charges
Imphal: Militant outfit Maoist Communist Party Manipur has said it will give "befitting punishment" to three youths who allegedly molested a 16-year-old school girl when she was returning to her village to celebrate Christmas in Senapati hill district of Manipur on December 24.
An MCPM statement, dated December 27 and made available to the press today, said the crime committed by the three youths was "unpardonable" as their act was not only outrageous but was also intended to drive a wedge between the indigenous people of the hill and valley in Manipur.
Official sources said three youths -- Angom Chandra, Khaidem Kunjo and Tensubam Amitkumar -- all aged 21, were arrested for allegedly molesting a girl at Napet Palli area in Imphal east district while the victim, along with friends, was returning to their village, Risophung, near Napet Palli, in Senapati district on December 24.
Police said the three, who offered to escort the girl posing as members of a militant outfit, were now in Lamlai police station for further investigation.
Several social organisations, including All Manipur Students Union (AMSU), United Committee Manipur (UCM) and International Peace and Solidarity Advancement (IPSA), strongly condemned the incident and demanded exemplary punishment to the three.
The organisations, in separate statements, said the state was facing a series of agitations, including general strike by several social organisations against the alleged molestation of a Manipuri film actress by a Naga militant of NSCN-IM, identified as Livingstone Anal, in public view during a musical concert at Chandel district on December 18 and the December 24 incident had added fuel to the fire.
Police viewed the threat by MSCP `very seriously` as it may mean shooting the accused to death by the militants. Steps were being taken to speed up the investigation in the case to prosecute the three as per provisions of the law, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America