Mass rally to protest crimes against women staged in Manipur
Imphal: A mass rally was staged here as a mark of protest crimes against women.
The rally was held under the aegis of the Crime Women Organisation for Indian Crimes against Women.
At least 200 women, including young girls and boy students took part in the rally.
The rally was organised against the backdrop of increasing rapes in the state.
Indian girls and women face a barrage of abuses in the largely patriarchal country. These include female foeticide, so-called ``honour`` killings, acid attacks, and rape, trafficking and dowry murders.
The National Crime Records Bureau says more than 24,200 rapes were reported in India in 2011, or one every 20 minutes.
As per a recent UNICEF survey, despite changing values in the young generation, 57 percent of Indian males between the ages of 15 to 19 contend domestic violence against women is occasionally is usual.
About 53 percent of females within the same age group feel the same, on par with rates of women from older age groups.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'