Media has long served as a watchdog for people: Vitsu
Kohima: Nagaland joined in celebrating the National Press Day under the theme `Role of Media in Serving Public Interest` at the Kohima Press Club here on Saturday.
Gracing the occasion as the chief guest, state Parliamentary Secretary for Information and Public Relations, Korpol Vitsu said "Media plays a significant role in the society and can contribute a lot by giving accurate information and opinions."
He felt media must realise that news is an evolving process and the media has long served as a watchdog for the public.
Media has a lot of responsibility on its shoulders as today`s society is very much influenced by the role played by the media, Vitsu called upon on media-persons to promote diversity and remain independent from influences.
The theme speaker of the day, Bano Haralu, Editor of Eastern Mirror, a popular English daily in the state said the National Press Day is a day of reflection in the society for the press.
"We should appreciate the freedom of press because it was only achieved after a long struggle," he said, adding that it is the duty of the press to impart news or information in the interest of the public.
Stating that the media in Nagaland needs to be more informed not just about the state, but also in its periphery since it has a big impact on the public, she felt there was a need for more vernacular dailies in the state so that even people at the grass root level are informed about the activities happening around them.
The programme was jointly organised by the Department of IPR, Government of Nagaland and Kohima Press Club.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list