Media hold dharna before Arunchal assembly
Itanagar: The media fraternity in Arunachal Pradesh on Thursday went on a dharna before the assembly demanding immediate arrest of those involved in firing and injuring a lady journalist here last Sunday.
Around 1000 people expressing solidarity with the journalists joined the dharna voluntarily when voting for the presidential election was going on inside the House.
The protesters shouted anti-government slogans and demanded immediate arrest of those involved in firing at Tongam Rina, Associate Editor of Arunachal Times.
Trinamool Congress legislature party leader Laeta Umbrey also joined the scribes.
A delegation of media persons, led by Arunachal Press Club president Taba Ajum and Arunachal Pradesh Union of Working Journalists General Secretary Dodum Yangfo called on Governor JJ Singh at Raj Bhavan here yesterday and submitted a memorandum.
The governor told the delegates that any kind of violence was against the interest of Arunachal Pradesh and its future generations and no society could develop and improve socio-economically, if there was no peace.
Condemning the incident, he said all out efforts were being made to nab the perpetrators and assured that corrective steps would be taken, including security around the general area near media houses.
The delegation appealed to him to take suitable steps for safety and security of the lives and properties of the media fraternity who were working under constant threats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!