Media hold dharna before Arunchal assembly
Itanagar: The media fraternity in Arunachal Pradesh on Thursday went on a dharna before the assembly demanding immediate arrest of those involved in firing and injuring a lady journalist here last Sunday.
Around 1000 people expressing solidarity with the journalists joined the dharna voluntarily when voting for the presidential election was going on inside the House.
The protesters shouted anti-government slogans and demanded immediate arrest of those involved in firing at Tongam Rina, Associate Editor of Arunachal Times.
Trinamool Congress legislature party leader Laeta Umbrey also joined the scribes.
A delegation of media persons, led by Arunachal Press Club president Taba Ajum and Arunachal Pradesh Union of Working Journalists General Secretary Dodum Yangfo called on Governor JJ Singh at Raj Bhavan here yesterday and submitted a memorandum.
The governor told the delegates that any kind of violence was against the interest of Arunachal Pradesh and its future generations and no society could develop and improve socio-economically, if there was no peace.
Condemning the incident, he said all out efforts were being made to nab the perpetrators and assured that corrective steps would be taken, including security around the general area near media houses.
The delegation appealed to him to take suitable steps for safety and security of the lives and properties of the media fraternity who were working under constant threats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'