Media houses to shut down for 2-days in Arunachal
Itanagar (Arunachal Pradesh): Taking strong exception to attacks on media houses and mediapersons despite deployment of police personnel, Arunachal Pradesh Union of Working Journalists (APUWJ) and Arunachal Press Club (APC) on Saturday unanimously decided to shut down all newspaper offices and electronic media offices for 2 days from Monday.
The members of APUWJ and APC in their meeting decided to shut down all newspaper and electronic media offices on Monday and Tuesday and also expressed strong resentment against the attack on `Echo of Arunachal`, the first English newspaper from the state, and its Associate Editor Tapan Kr Das last night.
As a token of protest, APUWJ and APC decided to submit a memorandum to Union Home and I and B Ministers to draw their attention towards the "atrocities" repeatedly committed on the mediapersons of the state.
It was unanimously decided in the meeting to indefinitely impose a ban on news and advertisement of All Arunachal Pradesh Public Transport Federation (AAPPTF) which had allegedly engineered the attack on Friday.
Friday’s attack on media was the fourth this year.
Arunachal Times office was vandalised on April 15 last, its Associate Editor Tongam Rina shot at in front of the office on July 15 last and other two staffs were attacked on September 11 night last.
Meanwhile, IGP Sanjay Baniwal, Capital SP Surender Kumar, during a meeting with editors and journalists here today, assured early arrest of the culprits involved in the Echo of Arunachal attack case and deployment of armed police personnel at media houses.
The IGP also assured issuance of a status report by Monday on the probe into Arunachal Times’ Associate Editor Tongam Rina attack case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid