Medical college to be set up at Karimganj
Karimganj (Assam): The Assam government has decided to set up a medical college in Karimganj district of Barak Valley.
"In the new medical college, preference would be given to students from Karimganj as well as neighbouring Hailakandi district," Assam Minister for Education, Health and Family Welfare Himanta Biswa Sarma said today.
At present, there is only one medical college at Silchar in Cachar among the three districts of Barak Valley.
Sarma, who was here as part of a two-day trip to the Barak Valley districts, said a formal announcement on setting up the new medical college would be made after completion of administrative procedures.
He said two seats would be reserved for the students of Hailakandi and Karimganj districts in each of the other medical colleges in Assam at the post graduate level.
"However, the students will have to serve in their respective home districts for at least 10 years after obtaining the degree," Sarma said.
He also said work on the long-awaited Karimganj Engineering College would begin within next three months and it would involve an investment of Rs 40 crore.
The Assam government was also planning to set up a polytechnic college in the border district, Sarma added.
The minister said the infant mortality rate in Karimganj is quite high and a neo-natal ICU would be set up in Karimganj Civil Hospital to eradicate the problem.
Besides, a CT scan machine would be installed within a few months in the hospital where the number of beds would be increased to 300 from the present 200, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster