Meghalaya: 25 poachers held, body parts of deer seized
Shillong: Altogether 25 poachers were arrested and body parts of endangered deer seized from them from a remote village in West Khasi Hills district, forest department sources said here on Thursday.
Sleuths of the forest department arrested them from Mawkarah village while they were returning in two vehicles from a hunting trip yesterday.
Arms, dried venison, three hides of Barking Deer (Muntiacus Muntjak) and the head of a fully grown female Sambar (Cervus Unicolor) were seized from them, sources said.
Besides Barking deer, Sambar is considered endangered in this hill state.
The poachers` hunt was carried out in Riat Wah Khri, a densely forested area, known to be populated by a variety of animals, the sources said.
All the arrested poachers hail from neighbouring Krang village in East Khasi Hills.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation