Meghalaya: 25 poachers held, body parts of deer seized
Shillong: Altogether 25 poachers were arrested and body parts of endangered deer seized from them from a remote village in West Khasi Hills district, forest department sources said here on Thursday.
Sleuths of the forest department arrested them from Mawkarah village while they were returning in two vehicles from a hunting trip yesterday.
Arms, dried venison, three hides of Barking Deer (Muntiacus Muntjak) and the head of a fully grown female Sambar (Cervus Unicolor) were seized from them, sources said.
Besides Barking deer, Sambar is considered endangered in this hill state.
The poachers` hunt was carried out in Riat Wah Khri, a densely forested area, known to be populated by a variety of animals, the sources said.
All the arrested poachers hail from neighbouring Krang village in East Khasi Hills.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Kangana Ranaut a true fashion chameleon: Tarun Tahiliani
- Delhi court acquits man; orders trial of two women for false rape charge
- Vyapam scam: SC bench to pass an order on clarification
- No scientific evidence proves Farakka Dam caused Bihar floods: Sushil Kumar Modi
- Ram Vilas Paswan favours ban on sugar futures