Meghalaya: 25 poachers held, body parts of deer seized
Shillong: Altogether 25 poachers were arrested and body parts of endangered deer seized from them from a remote village in West Khasi Hills district, forest department sources said here on Thursday.
Sleuths of the forest department arrested them from Mawkarah village while they were returning in two vehicles from a hunting trip yesterday.
Arms, dried venison, three hides of Barking Deer (Muntiacus Muntjak) and the head of a fully grown female Sambar (Cervus Unicolor) were seized from them, sources said.
Besides Barking deer, Sambar is considered endangered in this hill state.
The poachers` hunt was carried out in Riat Wah Khri, a densely forested area, known to be populated by a variety of animals, the sources said.
All the arrested poachers hail from neighbouring Krang village in East Khasi Hills.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui