Meghalaya: 25 poachers held, body parts of deer seized
Shillong: Altogether 25 poachers were arrested and body parts of endangered deer seized from them from a remote village in West Khasi Hills district, forest department sources said here on Thursday.
Sleuths of the forest department arrested them from Mawkarah village while they were returning in two vehicles from a hunting trip yesterday.
Arms, dried venison, three hides of Barking Deer (Muntiacus Muntjak) and the head of a fully grown female Sambar (Cervus Unicolor) were seized from them, sources said.
Besides Barking deer, Sambar is considered endangered in this hill state.
The poachers` hunt was carried out in Riat Wah Khri, a densely forested area, known to be populated by a variety of animals, the sources said.
All the arrested poachers hail from neighbouring Krang village in East Khasi Hills.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan