Meghalaya: 3 GNLA militants, youth killed
Shillong: Four persons - three Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) militants and a youth—were gunned down in a hideout during an early morning operation by security forces in Meghalaya`s East Garo Hills district on Thursday.
East Garo Hills deputy commissioner Vijay Mantri said that the security forces, acting on a tip off, had gone to Mongpangro village and had come under heavy fire from the militants.
The police retaliated and in the exchange of fire, the four, including the unidentified youth, were killed. Police said some militants escaped in the dark and later one AK-47 rifle and several rounds of ammunition were recovered from the spot.
The incident took place ahead of the April 07 raising day of the ULFA, with whose anti-talk faction GNLA is closely working with besides being involved in killing, extortion and abduction in the three Garo Hills districts of Meghalaya.
Security forces along the Assam-Meghalaya border have been put on alert to thwart any law and order problem, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH