Meghalaya: Abducted BDO released by GNLA
Shillong: The Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) on Saturday released abducted Block Development Officer PK Boro at an undisclosed location near the Indo-Bangladesh border in West Garo Hills district.
Boro, the BDO of Dadanggre (rpt) Dadanggre, who was
abducted from his office on November 21, was released safely
and was received by Alva B Sangma, a lady editor of a local
vernacular weekly, at around 9 AM.
West Garo Hills District Deputy Commissioner Sanjay Goyal
told agency, "I am personally relieved to share the news. I am
glad to know his family will have something good to celebrate
Christmas and new year."
"It was a big tension. The situation is such that you do
not know what will happen next," he said.
Alva, the editor of Achik Songbad, who received Boro,
told agency, "I got a call at around 6 AM. I knew something good
is going to happen."
Alva drove for two hours before she was led into a thick
jungle by a group of GNLA cadres. After a trek of another one
hour, she saw a group of five heavily armed GNLA cadres and
Boro in a plastic chair.
She said, "His health is good and I am happy to be able
to bring him back to his family."
Alva quoted area commander Jack Marak as saying: "We
could not possibly kill him as he was one of the few honest
officers who are working for the development of the place."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader