Meghalaya Assembly Elections: Over 88% votes polled
Shillong: Defying a bandh called by militants in seven districts, 88 percent of the over 15 lakh electorate cast their votes for the 60-member Meghalaya Assembly on Saturday.
"Till 1:00 PM around 51 percent of votes were cast out of the 15 lakh plus voters in the state," Chief Election Officer P Naik said.
He said that voting was more intense in Khasi Jaintia Hills region despite a 36-hour bandh called from 6:00 PM yesterday by the banned Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council in seven districts.
A large number of voters, mostly women, were seen in queues before voting began at 7:00 AM.
The polling was peaceful with security forces maintaining tight vigil especially in the 900 booths categorised as hyper sensitive in the militant-hit Garo Hills and along the international and inter-state borders, he said.
In view of the bandh, the government has deployed around 100 public transport vehicles in the capital city and the East Khasi Hills district for the convenience of voters.
The electoral fate of four former chief ministers, three from Congress which include Mukul Sangma, party chief D D Lapang and S C Marak will be decided.
The ruling Congress is the only party contesting all the 60 seats followed by the UDP in 50 seats. The P A Sangma led National Peoples? Party in the opposition is contesting in only 32 seats.
Altogether 91 companies of central paramilitary forces have been deployed to maintain law and order in the state. The BSF has sealed the 498 km border with Bangladesh and deployed additional forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble