Meghalaya Assembly Elections: Over 88% votes polled
Shillong: Defying a bandh called by militants in seven districts, 88 percent of the over 15 lakh electorate cast their votes for the 60-member Meghalaya Assembly on Saturday.
"Till 1:00 PM around 51 percent of votes were cast out of the 15 lakh plus voters in the state," Chief Election Officer P Naik said.
He said that voting was more intense in Khasi Jaintia Hills region despite a 36-hour bandh called from 6:00 PM yesterday by the banned Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council in seven districts.
A large number of voters, mostly women, were seen in queues before voting began at 7:00 AM.
The polling was peaceful with security forces maintaining tight vigil especially in the 900 booths categorised as hyper sensitive in the militant-hit Garo Hills and along the international and inter-state borders, he said.
In view of the bandh, the government has deployed around 100 public transport vehicles in the capital city and the East Khasi Hills district for the convenience of voters.
The electoral fate of four former chief ministers, three from Congress which include Mukul Sangma, party chief D D Lapang and S C Marak will be decided.
The ruling Congress is the only party contesting all the 60 seats followed by the UDP in 50 seats. The P A Sangma led National Peoples? Party in the opposition is contesting in only 32 seats.
Altogether 91 companies of central paramilitary forces have been deployed to maintain law and order in the state. The BSF has sealed the 498 km border with Bangladesh and deployed additional forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Setback for Arvind Kejriwal as Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan for threatening woman
- Fawad Khan to romance Deepika Padukone in Ranveer Singh starrer 'Padmavati'?
- Solar Impulse 2 begins its final flight of world tour, heads to Abu dhabi
- 21 patients die on single day in Hyderabad govt hospital, staff blame power outage
- New Zealand's Queenstown Airport evacuated after 'bomb message' found on plane