Meghalaya-Bangla border survey resumes
The joint survey of the adversely possessed lands or enclaves along the Meghalaya-Bangladesh border has resumed, following a series of talks between officials of the two countries involving local villagers.
Shillong: The joint survey of the adversely possessed lands or enclaves along the Meghalaya-Bangladesh border has resumed, following a series of talks between officials of the two countries involving local villagers.
An official from the Meghalaya survey department said the joint team resumed the survey at the border yesterday and the verification of the `Lyngkhat tract` had already been completed.
"Further negotiations will be held and the next tract for the survey will be decided. We will be going tract by tract," the official said.
The verification, beginning at the Sylhet-Meghalaya border, will be conducted by the Land records departments of Bangladesh and Meghalaya in at least 31 patches.
The joint border survey began once again ahead of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s visit to Bangladesh in September.
The decision for the joint verification was taken last September during a meeting between top Indian and Bangladesh officials at Dhaka to resolve disputes over borders like Dibir haor, Sripur, Tamabil, Sonarhat, Bichnakandi, Protappur and Lalakhal in Sylhet with Meghalaya.
The joint survey on the said borders remained suspended since December in the face of protest by border people and difference of opinion between the survey officials of both the countries at several places. An attempt was made to resume in April, but no headway was made.
The joint survey of the disputed borders along Bangladesh-Meghalaya, which is expected to pave the way for settlement of the boundary dispute, started on December 7.