Meghalaya BDO arrested for taking bribe
Shillong: A Block Development Officer of
Meghalaya has been arrested for allegedly taking bribe for
release of payment under Mahatma Gandhi National Rural
Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS).
Langstar Kharkongor, the Block Development Officer
(BDO) of Mawryngkneng in East Khasi Hills district was trapped
by sleuths of the crime branch last night after a complaint by
Mawngsyiem-Smit Village Employment Council (VEC) Chairman
Chandra Lyngdoh Nongbri, police said.
Kharkongor, was caught allegedly taking a bribe of
Rs 50,000 for releasing of a cheque for payment for work under
Kharkongor was allegedly caught with Rs 45,000 in Rs
500 denomination notes already marked by the police.
Nongbri had filed an FIR against the erring officer
accusing him of demanding 10 per cent of the amount due for
NREGS work which the VEC had completed.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!