Meghalaya BDO arrested for taking bribe
Shillong: A Block Development Officer of
Meghalaya has been arrested for allegedly taking bribe for
release of payment under Mahatma Gandhi National Rural
Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS).
Langstar Kharkongor, the Block Development Officer
(BDO) of Mawryngkneng in East Khasi Hills district was trapped
by sleuths of the crime branch last night after a complaint by
Mawngsyiem-Smit Village Employment Council (VEC) Chairman
Chandra Lyngdoh Nongbri, police said.
Kharkongor, was caught allegedly taking a bribe of
Rs 50,000 for releasing of a cheque for payment for work under
Kharkongor was allegedly caught with Rs 45,000 in Rs
500 denomination notes already marked by the police.
Nongbri had filed an FIR against the erring officer
accusing him of demanding 10 per cent of the amount due for
NREGS work which the VEC had completed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen