Meghalaya BDO arrested for taking bribe
Shillong: A Block Development Officer of
Meghalaya has been arrested for allegedly taking bribe for
release of payment under Mahatma Gandhi National Rural
Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS).
Langstar Kharkongor, the Block Development Officer
(BDO) of Mawryngkneng in East Khasi Hills district was trapped
by sleuths of the crime branch last night after a complaint by
Mawngsyiem-Smit Village Employment Council (VEC) Chairman
Chandra Lyngdoh Nongbri, police said.
Kharkongor, was caught allegedly taking a bribe of
Rs 50,000 for releasing of a cheque for payment for work under
Kharkongor was allegedly caught with Rs 45,000 in Rs
500 denomination notes already marked by the police.
Nongbri had filed an FIR against the erring officer
accusing him of demanding 10 per cent of the amount due for
NREGS work which the VEC had completed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in