Meghalaya Cabinet approves settlement agreement with ANVC
Shillong: Meghalaya Cabinet today approved the `settlement agreement` of Garo hills-based militant outfit Achik National Volunteer Council (ANVC), and gave its nod to provide more power to Garo Hills Autonomous District Council (GHADC).
"We have approved the settlement agreement and expect that the Union Cabinet approves the proposal of the state government," Chief Minister Mukul Sangma told reporters after the Cabinet meeting here.
At a tripartite held on January five to end peace talks successfully, the Meghalaya government had conceded 13 demands of the ANVC that had been fighting for a separate state in the Garo region.
One of the key demands of the ANVC is the creation of a Garoland Autonomous Council on the lines of the Bodoland Territorial Council in Assam. However, the Meghalaya government did not agree to it and instead expressed willingness to provide more power to the existing Garo Hills Autonomous District Council (GHADC).
Besides GHADC, the Cabinet today also approved more power to two more autonomous district councils in the Khasi and Jaintia hills region, Sangma said.
The name and jurisdiction of Councils would remain the same but fund flow to these councils and their responsibility over some departments would be added.
The Chief Minister said his government would constitute a committee with representatives from the state government, the Home Ministry, autonomous district councils concerned and the ANVC on the expansion of powers and responsibilities.
The ANVC is on ceasefire agreement with the state and central governments since July, 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof