Meghalaya Cabinet clears bill to check illegal immigration
Shillong: In a move to address the issue of influx in Meghalaya, the state Cabinet on Friday gave its nod to the Regulation of Landlord & Tenancy Verification Bill, 2013 as a legislative measure to address and enforce regulations to contain influx and illegal immigration.
"The bill will provide an effective mechanism to put into the loop the local authorities in scheduled and non-scheduled areas in which the enforcing agencies along with local authorities will have a mechanism mandated through the new law," Chief Minister Mukul Sangma told reporters after the Cabinet meeting.
This is common concern of all the citizen of the state that we need to understand that illegal immigration and influx is not confined to only urban areas but beyond these, he said.
Defining the `Landlord` as covering all those people who are providing accommodation on their premises, the Chief Minister said the idea is that people who come for some work can stay here and go back, besides the landlords are regulated as to why their tenants need renting accommodation.
The Cabinet has also approved the proposed drafting of the bill and then notified it for public consultation by October 3, he said.
Alleging the Opposition coalition, the United Democratic party-led Meghalaya People Forum (MPF), to be behind the pro-Inner Line Permit activists` anti-government stirs in the state since September 4, Mukul said, "I have reasons to believe that they are adding fuel to the fire and I have reasons to believe that they must be in close contact with these agitating friends/pressure groups."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray