Meghalaya CM demands probe into rumours leading to exodus
Shillong: Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma on Friday said an official probe into the "rumoured racial discrimination" which led to the exodus of NE youths, including those from Meghalaya, from southern states and Maharashtra is needed to end the crisis.
"Rumours of this magnitude need a thorough investigation," Mukul said, adding there are possibilities of involvement of vested groups so as to see that their "evil designs" do not succeed.
"Except for an incident at Pune, no incident was reported from other states," he said, quoting "inputs" from the MHA.
Stating that the issue does not confine to only students from Meghalaya but other NE states, the Chief Minister called upon other state governments in North East to response "appropriately" on the matter.
Meanwhile, Meghalaya is sending an official delegation to the southern states and Maharashtra to "verify" the rumoured discrimination and to "reassure" its youths of necessary steps taken by the respective states to prevent any attempt to discriminate (if any).
"We are sending a delegation from Meghalaya to the affected states to verify the reported discrimination against our youths studying and working in these states and to reassure them that necessary steps are being taken," Mukul said.
The Chief Minister said, "The government is in constant engagement with its counterparts in the South of the country and have alerted them on the situation to ensure steps are being taken to ensure their safety."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan