Meghalaya CM demands probe into rumours leading to exodus
Shillong: Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma on Friday said an official probe into the "rumoured racial discrimination" which led to the exodus of NE youths, including those from Meghalaya, from southern states and Maharashtra is needed to end the crisis.
"Rumours of this magnitude need a thorough investigation," Mukul said, adding there are possibilities of involvement of vested groups so as to see that their "evil designs" do not succeed.
"Except for an incident at Pune, no incident was reported from other states," he said, quoting "inputs" from the MHA.
Stating that the issue does not confine to only students from Meghalaya but other NE states, the Chief Minister called upon other state governments in North East to response "appropriately" on the matter.
Meanwhile, Meghalaya is sending an official delegation to the southern states and Maharashtra to "verify" the rumoured discrimination and to "reassure" its youths of necessary steps taken by the respective states to prevent any attempt to discriminate (if any).
"We are sending a delegation from Meghalaya to the affected states to verify the reported discrimination against our youths studying and working in these states and to reassure them that necessary steps are being taken," Mukul said.
The Chief Minister said, "The government is in constant engagement with its counterparts in the South of the country and have alerted them on the situation to ensure steps are being taken to ensure their safety."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie