Meghalaya CM orders security pickets in violence-hit areas
Shillong: Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul
Sangma on Saturday reviewed the security scenario in the
ethnic-violence hit border areas of East Garo Hills district
and instructed the administration to put up fixed security
pickets at the vulnerable points.
Sangma had a review meeting at Resubelpara circuit
house and then chaired a security meeting with district
officials where he asked the police to put up checks at all
the entry and exit points of the state on routes connecting
Assam in the district, official sources said.
"The CM asked the administration to be active and
ensure that the culprits involved in the ethnic violence are
brought to book. He also directed putting up of fix security
pickets at all the sensitive places," sources said.
Contemplating more assistance to the affected people,
he also stressed the need for more confidence building
measures and peace initiatives to make the peace long-lasting.
Chief Minister also distributed a compensation of Rs
10,000 each and CGI sheets to the affected families presently
sheltered at a relief camp at Mendipathar College.
Currently there are 1168 refugees still sheltered in
the six relief camps in Meghalaya, while on Assam side there
are some 9,500 refugees displaced in the ethnic riots last
Twelve people were killed, thousands of houses were
torched and nearly 50,000 people were displaced in the riots
in Meghalaya`s East Garo Hills and neighbouring Assam`s
Goalpara district between January 1 and 9.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick