Meghalaya CM urges coalition partners not to support Sangma
Shillong: Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma has appealed to his coalition partners in the state to revisit their decision to support former Lok Sabha speaker P.A. Sangma in the July 19 presidential election.
The United Democratic Party (UDP) and the Hill State Peoples` Democratic Party (HSPDP), which are supporting the Congress-led Meghalaya United Alliance government, have pledged their support to P.A. Sangma.
"I have written to the presidents of UDP and HSPDP, asking them to review their decision and to support the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) nominee Pranab Mukherjee for the president`s post," the chief minister told reporters here Thursday.
"We expect them (UDP and HSPDP) to respect the spirit of the coalition and support the UPA nominee," he added.
However, former chief minister and UDP chief Donkupar Roy has ruled out going back on the decision to support P.A. Sangma.
"I told him (Mukul Sangma) that the decision was not taken by the parliamentary members of the party alone, but the party workers, too, want the UDP legislators to vote for the former Lok Sabha speaker," Roy told a news agency.
Saying that the presidential poll has no bearing on the commitment of coalition partners in the state government, UDP leader and Deputy Chief Minister Bindo Mathew Lanong said his party has unanimously decided to support the former Lok Sabha speaker as a local independent candidate.
"He is no more with any party after he resigned from the NCP (Nationalist Congress Party)," Lanong said.
Earlier, the Asom Gana Parishad and Mizo National Front pledged their support to P.A. Sangma, who is backed by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), the Biju Janata Dal, AIADMK and some other parties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!