Meghalaya Congress president elevated to rank of CM
Shillong: The rank and status of
Meghalaya Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) president Friday
Lyngdoh was today elevated to the rank of a chief minister.
"The rank and status of Lyngdoh has been upgraded from
the rank of deputy chief minister to that of chief minister.
He shall continue to function as political advisor to the
Chief Minister," an official notification issued here, said.
The elevation of Lyngdoh`s status is seen as a move to
pacify a simmering resentment among the Congress camp,
particularly some senior members who have been denied a
The MPCC president, reportedly heading the rebel camp
that comprise of at least eight disgruntled MLAs, had even
moved the AICC recently seeking resolution of their
The 12-member council of ministers in Meghalaya are
assisted by 13 Parliamentary Secretaries picked from the
In 2004, the Union Government had amended the
Constitution restricting the size of the governments to 15 per
cent of the number of legislators.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part III
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part IV
- As Virat Kohli and co prepare for WI tour, MS Dhoni enjoys bike ride in Ranchi rain
- Ramayana had another heroine besides SITA – Know more about her contributions
- Samajwadi Party 'goondaraj' in UP? Azam Khan slaps Project Engineer
- This gene puts you at increased kidney disease risk
- 7th Pay Commission: Here's why the latest bonanza won't amuse govt staffers much