Meghalaya Congress president elevated to rank of CM
Shillong: The rank and status of
Meghalaya Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) president Friday
Lyngdoh was today elevated to the rank of a chief minister.
"The rank and status of Lyngdoh has been upgraded from
the rank of deputy chief minister to that of chief minister.
He shall continue to function as political advisor to the
Chief Minister," an official notification issued here, said.
The elevation of Lyngdoh`s status is seen as a move to
pacify a simmering resentment among the Congress camp,
particularly some senior members who have been denied a
The MPCC president, reportedly heading the rebel camp
that comprise of at least eight disgruntled MLAs, had even
moved the AICC recently seeking resolution of their
The 12-member council of ministers in Meghalaya are
assisted by 13 Parliamentary Secretaries picked from the
In 2004, the Union Government had amended the
Constitution restricting the size of the governments to 15 per
cent of the number of legislators.
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi- Part II
- ED summons former Air Chief Marshal S.P. Tyagi
- DNA: When will Muslim women get freedom from triple divorce?
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- India's investments into UK more than doubled in 2015
- Motorola expected to launch Moto G (4th Gen) handset on May 17
- Ex-servicemen suspend OROP protest, threaten to intensify agitation if demands not met
- West Bengal goes for fifth phase of polling on Saturday
- Tajikistan bans Russian-style surnames for children