Meghalaya Congress president elevated to rank of CM
Shillong: The rank and status of
Meghalaya Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) president Friday
Lyngdoh was today elevated to the rank of a chief minister.
"The rank and status of Lyngdoh has been upgraded from
the rank of deputy chief minister to that of chief minister.
He shall continue to function as political advisor to the
Chief Minister," an official notification issued here, said.
The elevation of Lyngdoh`s status is seen as a move to
pacify a simmering resentment among the Congress camp,
particularly some senior members who have been denied a
The MPCC president, reportedly heading the rebel camp
that comprise of at least eight disgruntled MLAs, had even
moved the AICC recently seeking resolution of their
The 12-member council of ministers in Meghalaya are
assisted by 13 Parliamentary Secretaries picked from the
In 2004, the Union Government had amended the
Constitution restricting the size of the governments to 15 per
cent of the number of legislators.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read