Meghalaya cop charged with rape flees from custody
Shillong: A Meghalaya police officer who has been charged with molesting and raping two minor girls has fled from custody and is feared to have crossed over to Bangladesh.
Meghalaya Director General of Police Prem Singh today said look out notices have been sent to all the states in the country as raids conducted in various places in the state and neighbouring Assam to catch Nurul Islam, the police officer, did not yield any result.
He said the police had also petitioned a local court here to proclaim Islam as an offender.
Police said Islam headed a police station in the South West Garo Hills district headquarter Ampati and had allegedly picked up the two sisters from a local park along with the boys with whom they were playing. He took them to the police station but allowed the boys to go but asked the two girls to stay behind.
He then allegedly molested the two sisters and raped the elder one at the police station itself on March 13.
He had allegedly repeated the crime on March 31 after forcing himself into the girls` house in a nearby village, district deputy commissioner Ram Singh said.
The police officer was taken into custody only on June one after an FIR was lodged against him by the girls` father charging him with molesting and raping them.
However, he escaped from the government quarter where he was kept in custody at around midnight, Singh said.
It is being suspected that Islam has crossed over to Bangladesh taking advantage of the porous international border, the police said.
Meghalaya has a 443-km border with Bangladesh, parts of which are porous and bad terrain areas are difficult to man. These unfenced pockets are used by infiltrators, smugglers, militants and criminals.
The National Commission for Protection of Child Rights has sought a detailed report on the incident from the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say