Meghalaya court dismisses Garo rebel chief`s plea
Shillong: In a setback to the jailed chief of the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) rebel outfit, Champion R Sangma, the Meghalaya High Court on Thursday dismissed his petition challenging his detention under the Meghalaya Preventive Detention Act (MPDA).
Rejecting the plea of Sangma`s counsel Sujit Dey that the detention of Sangma under the MPDA was "illegal" as the order did not specify reasons, Justice SR Sen said the court did not find any error in the detention order and its subsequent proceedings.
"I find no scope to interfere with the impugned detention order dated 29.1.2013, hence, this instant writ petition is rejected and accordingly stands disposed of," Sen said in his judgment.
On Jan 29, East Garo Hills Deputy Commissioner Vijay Kumar Mantri had booked Sangma under the MPDA on various charges, including waging war against the country and heading a banned outfit.
Sangma`s counsel also argued that his client has not been informed of his rights to make representation to the central government and that his representation before the district magistrate had remained pending and violated the provision of the MPDA, 1995.
Additional public prosecutor K Khan said there was nothing wrong in the detention order nor any provision has been violated as the detenue was informed about his rights to make his representation to the state government and the same was disposed of in time.
Sangma, a rogue police officer now lodged in Shillong jail, was booked under the act for waging war against the government after his arrest July 30, 2012, near the India-Bangladesh border in Meghalaya.
The Meghalaya government had booked Sangma under the MPDA for being the originator, mentor and founder of the GNLA which, it said, is a militant outfit that had unleashed a reign of terror in the state and waged war against the constitutionally formed and elected sovereign government of the day for creation of a Garo national entity.
An accused can be detained for a maximum of three years under the state law and bail is granted only after an advisory board chaired by a retired judge gives a decision.
Sangma has also been booked for eight cases under various sections of the Indian Penal Code, including waging war against the state, kidnapping for ransom and murder as well as violations of the Arms Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in