Meghalaya: District councils against erosion of powers
Shillong: Autonomous district councils of
Meghalaya under the banner of Meghalaya Autonomous District
Council Forum on Monday decided to oppose legislations that
would erode the powers and functions of the councils and
subsequently lead to holding of municipal elections.
The state government had tried to hold to municipal
elections in Meghalaya, but had to abandon its plans due to
strong opposition from organizations and traditional bodies
who felt the municipalities would erode the power and
functions of the traditional bodies.
Chief Executive Member of Khasi Hills Autonomous District
Council, Pynshngain M Syiem said the state government
recently passed two important legislations - The Draft
Amendment Assam and Meghalaya Autonomous Districts
(Constitution of District Council) Rule 1951 and Draft
Meghalaya Village Councils Act-2011.
"We will oppose these acts, as they would erode the
powers and functions of the councils as enshrined in the Sixth
Schedule of the Indian Constitution," he said.
Pointing the loopholes of the new legislations, Syiem
said the councils would not like to see that the autonomous
bodies would be easily dissolved by the a mere order of the
state government on flimsy ground.
"We strongly oppose the state government in allowing the
Deputy Commissioner to dissolve the autonomous district
councils. The council members have been elected by the
people," Syiem said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'