Meghalaya drowns in Christmas fervour
Shillong: Midnight services in churches across the state heralded the birth of Jesus Christ as tourists and locals joined in the festivities with religious fervour, mixed with merriment of exchanging greetings and gifts with friends and relatives.
Meghalaya`s capital city of Shillong was decked up for Christmas and the forthcoming New Year celebrations as government and private buildings as well as street corners were illuminated and decorated with Christmas trees, banners and festoons.
Special programmes including traditional Christmas carols and colourful processions rendered the air festive and solemn.
Tourists flocked to this hill state to participate in the Christmas celebrations as well as to take a taste of the winter season.
Individual artistes and gospel bands enthralled crowds with traditional Christmas songs like `Jingle Bells`, `Oh Holy Night` and `Santa Claus Is Coming to Town`.
Hectic last minute shopping and nightlong concerts marked the Christmas Eve. Commercial hubs of the city like Police Bazar and Iewduh (Barabazar), one of the biggest markets in the North East, were crowded with people buying clothes, foodstuff and other Christmas items for the past one week.
Long queues were seen in front of prominent bakeries in the city selling `designer` cakes. Known for attractive illumination during Christmas and New Year, Garo Hills too is agog with festivity even as Tura town was illuminated with different coloured lights.
Unique to its tradition, almost every tree in Tura is decked up with lighting symbolising Christmas trees.
Arch Bishop Dominic Jala said, "This is a festival which allows people to come together as it marks the coming of Christ into this world.
Christmas symbolises peace and prosperity among mankind and people should work for the benefit and welfare of humanity".
Meghalaya Governor RS Mooshahary wished people a joyful Christmas and hoped that the spirit and warmth of Christmas will bestow enduring peace and joy in life.
Chief Minister Mukul Sangma, on behalf of his cabinet colleagues, also wished people a very happy Christmas.
"(Let) the birth of Christ will usher in love, peace and harmony amongst all," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks