Meghalaya Dy Speaker donates earnings for the poor
Shillong: Meghalaya Deputy Speaker Sanbor Shullai has donated all of his year`s earnings, over Rs 18 lakh, to BPL families and people suffering from various diseases in the state.
Popularly known as a `Poor Man`s Leader`, the 47-year-old South Shillong NCP MLA has donated all his earnings from August 2013 till last month, Rs 18,42,658, and Rs 7 lakh discretionary grants he received from the Assembly.
"I have donated all my year`s earnings towards alleviating the condition of the poor and the needy in my capacity as a legislator and I am happy to see that I could contribute something towards a good cause," Shullai told PTI.
He said he intended to continue donating his salary to the "poor, the needy, and the sick."
Shullai`s monthly salary of Rs 48,750 and constituency allowance of Rs 55,000 since August last year was handed over to the constituency`s Monitoring cum Implementation Committee.
At least 199 beneficiaries including BPL families, poor students, and those suffering from cancer and other diseases got the money.
He also made contributions to sports and cultural activities, Committee Secretary A Marwein said in a statement here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- More than 8 lakh people affected by flood in UP
- Virender Sehwag fulfills Sakshi Malik's desire to meet him; this tweet tells how GLAD he is
- Asked to remove pugree at US embassy, BJP MP refuses to take visa
- Pink Ball Test: Jury still out on sighting, no reverse swing for pacers or turn for spinners
- RCom-Aircel expected to sign merger deal by Sept 1st week