Meghalaya Dy Speaker to be summoned by EC for violating MCC
Shillong: The Election Commission of India (ECI) is likely to summon Meghalaya Deputy Speaker Sanbor Shullai for allegedly violating election model code of conduct, official sources said on Sunday.
East Khasi Hills district administration last evening had to rush to the scene where the city MLA was distributing utility items like blankets, plastic chairs, tables under MLA scheme to the beneficiaries at Raid Laban college campus.
While all the items were seized, the district administration has been asked to file a report on the same for which the MLA could face legal prosecution, sources said.
"I am waiting for an official report from the Additional District Magistrate who had gone to the scene; based on which the MLA is likely to be asked to show cause (and explain as to why legal actions should not be taken against him)," East Khasi Hills district deputy commissioner Sanjay Goyal said.
The model code of conduct came into force on Friday evening immediately after it was announced that the Assembly elections for Meghalaya would be held on February 23.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi