Meghalaya Dy Speaker`s car torched by agitators
Shillong: The official vehicle of the Meghalaya Assembly Deputy Speaker was torched and many shops were burnt allegedly by NGO activists as their protest against `continued enrolment` of doubtful voters in the state entered the second day on Tuesday.
The police said the SUV of Deputy Speaker Sanbor Shullai was set on fire by the agitators at Jaiaw here at about noon today.
Shullai was not in the car but the driver and his personal security officer managed to flee, the sources said.
Many shops were ransacked and some non-indigenous residents were beaten up in Burabazar in the city last night while petrol bombs were lobbed at Garikhana and Laitumkhrah while a hay stack was set on fire at Nongmynsong, they said.
The NGO activists had also burnt two vehicles -- a government vehicle and a truck -- in the city yesterday.
The first vehicle was torched within minutes of a rally convened by four prominent NGOs ended in the capital.
The four NGOs were Khasi Students Union, the Federation of Khasi Jaintia and Garo People, the Synjuk Seng Samla Shnong and the Hynniewtrep National Youth Front.
Security in and around the city, particularly vulnerable areas, were tightened in view of the agitation of the NGOs, Director General of Police N Ramachandran said.
Ramachandran had met Governor R S Mooshahary last night and briefed him about the law and order situation in the state and in the city in particular, Raj Bhavan sources said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah