Meghalaya Dy Speaker`s car torched by agitators
Shillong: The official vehicle of the Meghalaya Assembly Deputy Speaker was torched and many shops were burnt allegedly by NGO activists as their protest against `continued enrolment` of doubtful voters in the state entered the second day on Tuesday.
The police said the SUV of Deputy Speaker Sanbor Shullai was set on fire by the agitators at Jaiaw here at about noon today.
Shullai was not in the car but the driver and his personal security officer managed to flee, the sources said.
Many shops were ransacked and some non-indigenous residents were beaten up in Burabazar in the city last night while petrol bombs were lobbed at Garikhana and Laitumkhrah while a hay stack was set on fire at Nongmynsong, they said.
The NGO activists had also burnt two vehicles -- a government vehicle and a truck -- in the city yesterday.
The first vehicle was torched within minutes of a rally convened by four prominent NGOs ended in the capital.
The four NGOs were Khasi Students Union, the Federation of Khasi Jaintia and Garo People, the Synjuk Seng Samla Shnong and the Hynniewtrep National Youth Front.
Security in and around the city, particularly vulnerable areas, were tightened in view of the agitation of the NGOs, Director General of Police N Ramachandran said.
Ramachandran had met Governor R S Mooshahary last night and briefed him about the law and order situation in the state and in the city in particular, Raj Bhavan sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen