Meghalaya ethnic violence: Arson cases on, peace meet convened
Shillong: Fresh arson cases were today
reported from the ethnic-violence hit Mendipathar area along
Assam-Meghalaya border, even as a peace committee was formed
to diffuse the tension.
Burning of houses of a particular community and mob
build-up was reported from the remote Turikapara area of
Bajengdoba in East Garo Hills district this morning, officials
Indefinite curfew, imposed on Monday night, was in
place at some pockets of Resubelpara subdivision.
Senior officials of Meghalaya`s East Garo Hills
district and Assam`s Goalpara district went into a huddle with
leaders of various Garo and Rabha groups at Goalpara circuit
house this afternoon.
Both sides aired their grievances at the meeting which
later formed a peace committee to diffuse the tension, they
Rabha groups demanded repatriation of 3,000 Rabha
people who had fled Meghalaya and were taking shelter in Assam
in the wake of the ethnic clash.
They also demanded punishment to those who attacked
the Rabha people and set ablaze their houses, besides adequate
relief to those displaced, the officials said.
The Garo groups, on the other hand, asked the Assam
government to ensure that their people were not harassed in
The state governments, represented by respective
deputy commissioners Pravin Bakshi and P K Goswami, assured to
address their grievances.
Two additional companies of BSF, besides the already
deployed four companies of security forces, were expected to
arrive at the violence-hit places today.
Scores of houses torched and some 4,000 people have
been displaced in the ethnic violence that began on January 1,
with nearly 3,000 evacuated to three relief camps at the
Army was on stand-by, and is expected to be deployed
after a nod from the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack