Meghalaya flood toll rises to 59
The toll in the flash floods and landslides in Meghalaya has risen to 59 with the recovery of one more body. Three people are still missing, an official said Tuesday.
Shillong: The toll in the flash floods and landslides in Meghalaya has risen to 59 with the recovery of one more body. Three people are still missing, an official said Tuesday.
More than two lakh people were affected by the flood waters which submerged at least 1,172 villages and over 30,000 displaced have now been housed in 108 relief camps.
"The official toll has gone up to 59 with the recovery of one more body from East Khasi Hills district. Three more people are still missing and the search is still on," Chief Secretary P.B.O. Warjri told IANS.
"The situation has improved quite significantly in all the flood-affected areas of Garo Hills. The flood water has receded and the district authorities are on job to assess the exact cause of damages."
Warjri said that many of the displaced people are still taking shelter in the relief camp. He said the government is providing food and other relief material to the affected flood people.
The floods ravaged Meghalaya Sep 24 and continued for nearly a week. It was caused by cloudburst over Garo Hills.
Chief Minister Mukul Sangma had earlier said that this was the "worst-flood that the people in Garo Hills have faced. We have not only lost precious lives but the quantum of damage is also very high".
"There is so much we need to do now. We have been moved back 10 years in our development program due to the flood as major areas have been devastated by the floods. Everywhere we went, there were only sad stories to tell."
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh, who had conducted an aerial survey on the flood affected areas in Garo Hills, had assured to provide maximum assistance to the Meghalaya government.