Meghalaya: GNLA chief to move fresh bail plea
Shillong: Chief of Meghalaya`s outlawed Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA), Champion R Sangma, is likely to move a fresh bail application in a court here, a legal officer said on Wednesday.
"After the court had rejected his bail application, Champion had asked me to prepare a fresh bail application for his release," Sujit Dey, the GNLA chief`s lawyer told a news agency.
On September 07, a local court had remanded Champion R Sangma to another 14 days in judicial custody while rejecting his bail application.
Dey, however, said the fresh bail application would be moved at an appropriate time.
"I will be meeting him (Champion) and he would take a decision on moving the bail application," he added.
Earlier, Deputy Superintendent of Police KC Prasad said the police have filed a chargesheet against Champion R Sangma under various provisions of the Indian Penal Code and the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act for waging war against the Indian State.
Champion R Sangma, a former deputy superintendent of police who deserted the Meghalaya Police owing to alleged harassment by his superiors and floated the GNLA in November 2009, is fighting for a separate Garoland.
He was arrested on July 30 near the India-Bangladesh border in Meghalaya. The state government had terminated his services in July 2010.
The outfit, which has been outlawed by the Indian government, forged an operational alliance with the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) and the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB), which provided it access to sophisticated arms and ammunition.
GNLA rebels, who number around 100, unleashed a reign of terror in the three impoverished districts of Garo Hills in the last one year and killed over 35 people, including security personnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof