Meghalaya Governor advocates uranium mining
Shillong: Notwithstanding the tribals’ opposition to mining of uranium in Meghalaya, Governor RS Mooshahary on Thursday advocated mining of the highly radio-active mineral as the state would benefit in terms of power and employment generation.
“Uranium is the most environment friendly and the state stands to benefit from uranium mining as the state will get subsidies on the power generated from uranium", the governor said.
Acknowledging that the state’s mining practices was the ‘worst’ in the country, Mooshahary said, “Meghalaya is a case in point of the worst state with regard to mining as there is no security to life of the workers and for being a big threat to the environment.”
The governor said that the state government’s mining policy which was yet to be ready was a “must” for protecting the environment.
Mooshahary observed that mining of coal, which Meghalaya has in abundance, has not benefited the society as a whole.
He said it was the duty of the miners to fill up the craters with earth after mining so that the land can be reused for cultivation.
Mooshahary said this while inaugurating a UGC-sponsored national seminar on ‘Mining: Impact on Economy, Ecology, Technology, Polity and Society’ organised jointly by two city colleges here.
The Atomic Minerals Directorate has projected that Meghalaya has more than 9,500 MT of high grade uranium deposits.
The Geological Survey of India (GSI) has estimated that Meghalaya has around 460 MT of high grade sub-bituminous coal with less ash content compared to the coal found in any other parts of the country.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference