Meghalaya Governor advocates uranium mining
Shillong: Notwithstanding the tribals’ opposition to mining of uranium in Meghalaya, Governor RS Mooshahary on Thursday advocated mining of the highly radio-active mineral as the state would benefit in terms of power and employment generation.
“Uranium is the most environment friendly and the state stands to benefit from uranium mining as the state will get subsidies on the power generated from uranium", the governor said.
Acknowledging that the state’s mining practices was the ‘worst’ in the country, Mooshahary said, “Meghalaya is a case in point of the worst state with regard to mining as there is no security to life of the workers and for being a big threat to the environment.”
The governor said that the state government’s mining policy which was yet to be ready was a “must” for protecting the environment.
Mooshahary observed that mining of coal, which Meghalaya has in abundance, has not benefited the society as a whole.
He said it was the duty of the miners to fill up the craters with earth after mining so that the land can be reused for cultivation.
Mooshahary said this while inaugurating a UGC-sponsored national seminar on ‘Mining: Impact on Economy, Ecology, Technology, Polity and Society’ organised jointly by two city colleges here.
The Atomic Minerals Directorate has projected that Meghalaya has more than 9,500 MT of high grade uranium deposits.
The Geological Survey of India (GSI) has estimated that Meghalaya has around 460 MT of high grade sub-bituminous coal with less ash content compared to the coal found in any other parts of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says