Meghalaya Governor advocates uranium mining
Shillong: Notwithstanding the tribals’ opposition to mining of uranium in Meghalaya, Governor RS Mooshahary on Thursday advocated mining of the highly radio-active mineral as the state would benefit in terms of power and employment generation.
“Uranium is the most environment friendly and the state stands to benefit from uranium mining as the state will get subsidies on the power generated from uranium", the governor said.
Acknowledging that the state’s mining practices was the ‘worst’ in the country, Mooshahary said, “Meghalaya is a case in point of the worst state with regard to mining as there is no security to life of the workers and for being a big threat to the environment.”
The governor said that the state government’s mining policy which was yet to be ready was a “must” for protecting the environment.
Mooshahary observed that mining of coal, which Meghalaya has in abundance, has not benefited the society as a whole.
He said it was the duty of the miners to fill up the craters with earth after mining so that the land can be reused for cultivation.
Mooshahary said this while inaugurating a UGC-sponsored national seminar on ‘Mining: Impact on Economy, Ecology, Technology, Polity and Society’ organised jointly by two city colleges here.
The Atomic Minerals Directorate has projected that Meghalaya has more than 9,500 MT of high grade uranium deposits.
The Geological Survey of India (GSI) has estimated that Meghalaya has around 460 MT of high grade sub-bituminous coal with less ash content compared to the coal found in any other parts of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?