Meghalaya Governor appeals for peace
Shillong: Meghalaya Governor Ranjit
Shekhar Mooshahary on Thursday appealed for an end to the ethnic
violence that has engulfed parts of the Garo Hills and
Expressing deep distress, he said in a statement, "It
is unfortunate that these two tribes who have common ethnic
origin and bound by tradition and custom are clashing with
each other. There is no doubt that it is a case of
misunderstanding fuelled by rumours and mischief-makers and it
has already caused great sufferings."
Appealing for a halt to the `mutually destructive
violence` and `live in peace and harmony`, the governor urged
community leaders, social and religious activists to restore
peace in the strife-torn areas by bringing together people of
both the tribes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users