Meghalaya Governor takes additional charge of Nagaland
Kohima: Meghalaya Governor Krishan Kant Paul on Wednesday took over the additional charge as the 18th governor of Nagaland following the resignation of Ashwani Kumar from the post on June 25 last.
After his swearing-in, the governor in his address to the gathering stressed on the need to facilitate a conducive social environment, to enable the willing participation of all sections of society, for inclusive development.
"We need to ensure the highest standards of governance keeping in view the interest of our people in mind. In this, the interests of the poor have to be supreme," he said.
The new governor was administered the oath of office by Justice T Vaiphei, Judge of Guwahati High Court, at a function at the Raj Bhavan here.
State Chief Minister T R Zeliang, Assembly Speaker Chotisuh Sazo, Cabinet ministers, parliamentary secretaries and legislators from the Opposition Congress Party and senior bureaucrats, police and army personnel attended the function.
Describing Nagaland as a beautiful state, he said it is often called `The Land of Festivals` and the famous Hornbill festival, where all the tribes in the state make their cultural presentation showcases the unity in diversity of the state.
A retired police commissioner, Paul who held a Constitutional position as UPSC member, was appointed Meghalaya Governor on July 8, 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened