Meghalaya Governor takes additional charge of Nagaland
Kohima: Meghalaya Governor Krishan Kant Paul on Wednesday took over the additional charge as the 18th governor of Nagaland following the resignation of Ashwani Kumar from the post on June 25 last.
After his swearing-in, the governor in his address to the gathering stressed on the need to facilitate a conducive social environment, to enable the willing participation of all sections of society, for inclusive development.
"We need to ensure the highest standards of governance keeping in view the interest of our people in mind. In this, the interests of the poor have to be supreme," he said.
The new governor was administered the oath of office by Justice T Vaiphei, Judge of Guwahati High Court, at a function at the Raj Bhavan here.
State Chief Minister T R Zeliang, Assembly Speaker Chotisuh Sazo, Cabinet ministers, parliamentary secretaries and legislators from the Opposition Congress Party and senior bureaucrats, police and army personnel attended the function.
Describing Nagaland as a beautiful state, he said it is often called `The Land of Festivals` and the famous Hornbill festival, where all the tribes in the state make their cultural presentation showcases the unity in diversity of the state.
A retired police commissioner, Paul who held a Constitutional position as UPSC member, was appointed Meghalaya Governor on July 8, 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi