Meghalaya Governor takes additional charge of Nagaland
Kohima: Meghalaya Governor Krishan Kant Paul on Wednesday took over the additional charge as the 18th governor of Nagaland following the resignation of Ashwani Kumar from the post on June 25 last.
After his swearing-in, the governor in his address to the gathering stressed on the need to facilitate a conducive social environment, to enable the willing participation of all sections of society, for inclusive development.
"We need to ensure the highest standards of governance keeping in view the interest of our people in mind. In this, the interests of the poor have to be supreme," he said.
The new governor was administered the oath of office by Justice T Vaiphei, Judge of Guwahati High Court, at a function at the Raj Bhavan here.
State Chief Minister T R Zeliang, Assembly Speaker Chotisuh Sazo, Cabinet ministers, parliamentary secretaries and legislators from the Opposition Congress Party and senior bureaucrats, police and army personnel attended the function.
Describing Nagaland as a beautiful state, he said it is often called `The Land of Festivals` and the famous Hornbill festival, where all the tribes in the state make their cultural presentation showcases the unity in diversity of the state.
A retired police commissioner, Paul who held a Constitutional position as UPSC member, was appointed Meghalaya Governor on July 8, 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning