Meghalaya Governor`s chopper trips cost Rs 1.37 crore
Shillong: Helicopter sorties by Meghalaya Governor RS Mooshahary within Meghalaya and to Assam over two years cost the taxpayer over Rs 1.37 crore, official documents reveal.
Response to a Right to Information (RTI) query filed by Shillong journalist EM Jose said Mooshahary made 132 helicopter trips from 2008 to 2010.
The trips cost of the exchequer Rs 1,37,09, 458.
Mooshahary, who took charge as governor on July 1, 2008, is a former chief of India`s elite National Security Guards.
He chartered a Pawan Hans helicopter 89 times to visit his hometown Beltola in Assam, 94 km from the Meghalaya capital Shillong.
As per the RTI findings, the governor also flew to various areas in Assam like Guwahati, Lakhimpur, Diphu, Tezpur and Dispur.
Other sorties were to Sohra (Cherrapunjee), Mawlynnong, Bholaganj, Jowai and elsewhere in Meghalaya.
Unlike the governor, Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma chartered a helicopter only once to visit Langpih in May last year after four people were killed in police firing.
The chief minister also preferred to use his car to travel from Shillong to Guwahati, a journey of less than three hours by road.
Transport department officials said helicopter service was introduced with a view to give air connectivity and help the general public to travel at a very nominal rate.
A person has to pay Rs 1,700 per trip from Shillong to Tura town and vice versa.
A trip from Tura to Assam`s Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport in Guwahati costs Rs 1,500, while the journey between Guwahati and Shillong costs Rs 1,200.
The Governor was criticised when he flew to Jowai town in eastern Meghalaya to inaugurate the `Discover Jaintia Tourism Festival` Dec 7, 2009.
Not only did Mooshahary charter a helicopter for the trip, even his official car was driven from Shillong to take him to the event venue from the helipad, a distance of just two kilometers.
The news agency not contact the governor. But his secretary P Shakil Ahammed said all the trips were taken due to "official work".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!