Meghalaya govt appeals to people to defy HNLC bandh call
Shillong: Meghalaya government on Wednesday appealed to citizens to defy the bandh called on Republic Day by separatist Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC) even as strict instructions were issued to the administration to ensure that the celebration passed off peacefully.
"It is desired that everybody comes out and celebrate Republic Day in a befitting manner. We have been able to show to the world that despite bandh calls, people of Meghalaya have defied such calls," Chief Minister Mukul Sangma told reporters after a cabinet meeting in his residence.
"People have come out with their own enthusiasm and demonstrate their love for the country and celebrate despite such calls in the past," he said.
At least six militant groups in the northeast including the ULFA in Assam and HNLC in Meghalaya, have jointly issued a statement announcing boycott of Republic Day celebrations and a general strike on that day.
In view of the bandh call, the state police have been asked to keep extra vigil to thwart off any such attempts by the outfit.
"It is incumbent upon all district administration to ensure that the celebration is a peaceful and successful one," the Chief Minister said.
The Border Security Force (BSF) which is manning the Bangladesh border have also been asked to be extra alert and be in close coordination with the state police in view of the bandh.
Governor KK Paul will unfurl the tri-colour at the celebration at Polo grounds here while Home Minister Roshan Warjri will be the chief guest at the Sohra Civil Sub-Division.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre