Meghalaya govt appeals to people to defy HNLC bandh call
Shillong: Meghalaya government on Wednesday appealed to citizens to defy the bandh called on Republic Day by separatist Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC) even as strict instructions were issued to the administration to ensure that the celebration passed off peacefully.
"It is desired that everybody comes out and celebrate Republic Day in a befitting manner. We have been able to show to the world that despite bandh calls, people of Meghalaya have defied such calls," Chief Minister Mukul Sangma told reporters after a cabinet meeting in his residence.
"People have come out with their own enthusiasm and demonstrate their love for the country and celebrate despite such calls in the past," he said.
At least six militant groups in the northeast including the ULFA in Assam and HNLC in Meghalaya, have jointly issued a statement announcing boycott of Republic Day celebrations and a general strike on that day.
In view of the bandh call, the state police have been asked to keep extra vigil to thwart off any such attempts by the outfit.
"It is incumbent upon all district administration to ensure that the celebration is a peaceful and successful one," the Chief Minister said.
The Border Security Force (BSF) which is manning the Bangladesh border have also been asked to be extra alert and be in close coordination with the state police in view of the bandh.
Governor KK Paul will unfurl the tri-colour at the celebration at Polo grounds here while Home Minister Roshan Warjri will be the chief guest at the Sohra Civil Sub-Division.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you