Meghalaya govt to amend weak Lokayukta bill
Shillong: The Meghalaya government Thursday assured of further amending the weak Meghalaya Lokayukta Bill 2012 for ensuring a strong and effective counter mechanism against corruption in the state.
The Bill which was denied assent by the Governor R S Mooshahary was opposed by Opposition legislators and anti-graft activists in the state terming it weak and toothless.
“The government will examine and the bill will further be amended for the state to have a strong and effective Lokayukta in place,” Chief Minister Mukul Sangma assured the House while replying to the resolution moved by UDP working president Paul Lyngdoh during the House session today.
Stating that the recommendations made by the Governor would be examined, he said, “I will seek the mandate of the cabinet to further examine and dwell on this and ensure that aspirations of the people in fighting against corruption is fulfilled.”
The MUA-I Congress-led government had passed the new Meghalaya Lokayukta Bill ? 2012 in the last Assembly session amidst vehement opposition from legislators and NGOs citing several inadequacy, deformities and loopholes in it.
Affirming that the government will stand to its commitment to deal with Corruption and will not shy away in bringing an effective Act, the chief minister said, “We will also further have legislation for effective delivery mechanisms which will be a comprehensive approach to effectively deal with the issues relating to Corruption.”
According to the Chief Minister, it is not important to only have a law to deal with corruption after it is committed but there is a need to have other mechanisms to supplement the Act in combating corruption at different levels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark