Meghalaya govt to amend weak Lokayukta bill
Shillong: The Meghalaya government Thursday assured of further amending the weak Meghalaya Lokayukta Bill 2012 for ensuring a strong and effective counter mechanism against corruption in the state.
The Bill which was denied assent by the Governor R S Mooshahary was opposed by Opposition legislators and anti-graft activists in the state terming it weak and toothless.
“The government will examine and the bill will further be amended for the state to have a strong and effective Lokayukta in place,” Chief Minister Mukul Sangma assured the House while replying to the resolution moved by UDP working president Paul Lyngdoh during the House session today.
Stating that the recommendations made by the Governor would be examined, he said, “I will seek the mandate of the cabinet to further examine and dwell on this and ensure that aspirations of the people in fighting against corruption is fulfilled.”
The MUA-I Congress-led government had passed the new Meghalaya Lokayukta Bill ? 2012 in the last Assembly session amidst vehement opposition from legislators and NGOs citing several inadequacy, deformities and loopholes in it.
Affirming that the government will stand to its commitment to deal with Corruption and will not shy away in bringing an effective Act, the chief minister said, “We will also further have legislation for effective delivery mechanisms which will be a comprehensive approach to effectively deal with the issues relating to Corruption.”
According to the Chief Minister, it is not important to only have a law to deal with corruption after it is committed but there is a need to have other mechanisms to supplement the Act in combating corruption at different levels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM