Meghalaya govt to revoke ST status from Bhong tribe
Shillong: Meghalaya government on Tuesday
announced that it would revoke the order granting schedule
tribe status to Bhong community following protest by six
Chief Secretary W M S Pariat made the statement after
members of joint action committee of six social organisations
observed an hunger strike here in protest against granting
schedule tribe status to the Bhong community here.
Working President of the Federation of Khasi Jaintia
and Garo People (FKJGP), Joe Lyttan told this to reporters
after a meeting with the chief secretary.
Lyttan claimed that Bhong community, staying in Ri Bhoi
district, originally belonged to Assam and should not be
considered as tribal of Meghalaya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read