Meghalaya govt to revoke ST status from Bhong tribe
Shillong: Meghalaya government on Tuesday
announced that it would revoke the order granting schedule
tribe status to Bhong community following protest by six
Chief Secretary W M S Pariat made the statement after
members of joint action committee of six social organisations
observed an hunger strike here in protest against granting
schedule tribe status to the Bhong community here.
Working President of the Federation of Khasi Jaintia
and Garo People (FKJGP), Joe Lyttan told this to reporters
after a meeting with the chief secretary.
Lyttan claimed that Bhong community, staying in Ri Bhoi
district, originally belonged to Assam and should not be
considered as tribal of Meghalaya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sheena Bora and Mikhail had different fathers?