Meghalaya govt to revoke ST status from Bhong tribe
Shillong: Meghalaya government on Tuesday
announced that it would revoke the order granting schedule
tribe status to Bhong community following protest by six
Chief Secretary W M S Pariat made the statement after
members of joint action committee of six social organisations
observed an hunger strike here in protest against granting
schedule tribe status to the Bhong community here.
Working President of the Federation of Khasi Jaintia
and Garo People (FKJGP), Joe Lyttan told this to reporters
after a meeting with the chief secretary.
Lyttan claimed that Bhong community, staying in Ri Bhoi
district, originally belonged to Assam and should not be
considered as tribal of Meghalaya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'