Meghalaya HC refuses to interfere in detention of militant
Shillong: The Meghalaya High Court on Thursday refused to interfere in a state government order detaining Garo Militant Chief Champion Sangma under the Meghalaya Prevention Detention Act (MPDA).
In his judgement, Justice S R Sen said the High Court will not interfere in the MPDA order of the district administration under which Sangma had been booked.
Sangma was booked under MPDA by the East Garo Hills district administration in January this year.
Today`s order came as a blow to the GNLA Chief as the High Court had last month set aside an MPDA order issued by the West Garo hills district administration, saying the authorities had failed to get the approval of the state government.
Under the State Act, a person is detained for a maximum period of three years and the accused can get bail only after an advisory board of the government decides on the matter.
Sangma headed an armed militant outfit, the Garo National Liberation Army which is in operation in at least five Garo Hills districts in Meghalaya before he was detained in Bangladesh and pushed back to India last year where he was subsequently arrested and charged for waging war against the nation.
Sources close to the family of the jailed Militant Chief said that they would file an appeal with a higher court challenging the order.
Formed in late 2010, the GNLA was recognised as a terror organisation by the Centre last year for carrying out outlawed activities like extortion, abduction and killing of both civilians and paramilitary forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in