Meghalaya High Court to start soon: Governor
Shillong: Meghalaya is all set to have a dedicated High Court functioned very soon apart from establishing special and fast track courts to ensure effective delivery of justice to victims of rape cases, Governor R S Mooshahary said today.
"A separate Meghalaya High Court will be functioning very soon," Mooshahary said while addressing the ninth Assembly on the first day of the budget session here.
He said a special court at Nongstoin (in West Khasi Hills district) set up for trial of rape cases has yielded results and six persons have been convicted.
Rape cases in the five districts in the Garo Hills region including the infamous Williamnagar gang rape last year have been transferred to a fast track court at Tura, he said.
According to the Governor, the government is also contemplating entrusting rape cases to the fast track courts at Shillong and Jowai respectively to ensure effective delivery of justice.
On the separation of judiciary from the executive, Mooshahary said East Khasi Hills district has been affected while the process of separation in other districts would be done in a phased-manner as soon as judicial officers are available after mandatory training.
The state`s first woman home minister Roshan Warjri who was given charge of the all important portfolio said issues pertaining to women is one of the most important issues in her priority list.
"It would be our efforts to establish fast track courts in all district headquarters for fast and effective delivery of justice to victims of such crimes," Warjri said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region