Meghalaya High Court to start soon: Governor
Shillong: Meghalaya is all set to have a dedicated High Court functioned very soon apart from establishing special and fast track courts to ensure effective delivery of justice to victims of rape cases, Governor R S Mooshahary said today.
"A separate Meghalaya High Court will be functioning very soon," Mooshahary said while addressing the ninth Assembly on the first day of the budget session here.
He said a special court at Nongstoin (in West Khasi Hills district) set up for trial of rape cases has yielded results and six persons have been convicted.
Rape cases in the five districts in the Garo Hills region including the infamous Williamnagar gang rape last year have been transferred to a fast track court at Tura, he said.
According to the Governor, the government is also contemplating entrusting rape cases to the fast track courts at Shillong and Jowai respectively to ensure effective delivery of justice.
On the separation of judiciary from the executive, Mooshahary said East Khasi Hills district has been affected while the process of separation in other districts would be done in a phased-manner as soon as judicial officers are available after mandatory training.
The state`s first woman home minister Roshan Warjri who was given charge of the all important portfolio said issues pertaining to women is one of the most important issues in her priority list.
"It would be our efforts to establish fast track courts in all district headquarters for fast and effective delivery of justice to victims of such crimes," Warjri said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Some parties trying to create anti-Centre sentiment, says Venkaiah Naidu
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog