Meghalaya I-Day celebrations marred by shutdown
Shillong: The Independence Day celebrations in Meghalaya were marred by a shutdown called by a militant group, which affected life in the state.
The shutdown was called by outlawed Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC).
The HNLC, which conducts hit-and-run raids from its hideouts in Bangladesh, wants a sovereign Khasi homeland in the state.
In capital Shillong, Chief Minister Mukul Sangma unfurled the national flag and took the salute at a ceremonial parade.
"The government will continue to follow its policy of zero tolerance to criminal activity by any group," Sangma said.
Congratulating the people for taking a tough stand against militancy, he said: "I firmly believe that it is the strong will of the people that will enable the government in eradicating the menace of insurgency from the state."
Urging the insurgents to surrender and join the fight against hunger and poverty rather than playing into the hands of anti-national elements, Sangma said: "Our government has kept an open mind in dealing with militant outfits. I am aware that a number of our young men are drawn into these outfits under compelling situations."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly