Meghalaya introduces mining policy
Shillong: The Meghalaya cabinet on Friday gave nod to the much-awaited mining policy even as it ruled out doing away with the unscientific rat-hole mining in the state.
"Meghalaya now has a mining policy," Chief Minister Mukul Sangma announced after an exhaustive cabinet meeting which was attended by his cabinet colleagues and senior government officials.
He said, "We are happy that we could deliberate on this before the cabinet could consider the proposal and approve the policy".
The 25 paragraph policy has provisions for proper and scientific mining operations of minerals in the state, Mining and Geology minister B M Lanong said adding that the policy would allow the government to step in and regulate mining activities in the state.
Informing that the policy has accepted rat-hole mining of coal practiced predominantly in the state, Lanong said, "There will be war between the stakeholders, miners and the government if we do away with the rat-hole mining practices".
He, however, said the policy would provide scope for mining of minerals in a more scientific and sustainable manner taking into account the interest of the state and its people.
"We want to minimise the adverse effect of mineral development on environment and ecology by adopting appropriate preventive measures and ensuring that mining operations is done considering the safety and health of all concerns," the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Eight police killed in southeast Turkey car bomb attack: Report
- AAP 'intentionally' framed Punjab chief Chhotepur before expelling him: Dharamvira Gandhi
- Juno probe to make its closest approach to Jupiter tomorrow!
- SHOCKING! Diego Maradona claims Lionel Messi 'staged' international retirement - Here's why
- Marijuana compound may improve night vision