Meghalaya minister assures justice to killed woman`s family
Shillong: Meghalaya Home Minister Roshan Warjri Thursday assured `justice` to members of the bereaved family of the woman whose head was blown away by Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) militants in a remote village in South Garo Hills on Tuesday evening after she resisted their molestation and rape attempt.
The Home Minister also reviewed the security scenario in the entire Garo Hills region at Tura, the headquarters of Garo Hills division taking into consideration activities of the militant groups.
"All efforts are being made to ensure that justice is delivered to members of the bereaved family especially to the father and children who are going through a tough time after the shootout in the premises of their home," Warjri told PTI.
She said the perpetrators will be brought to book sooner or later even as she informed that a heavy gun battle is going on between the security forces and the GNLA militants in neighbouring East Garo Hills.
"We have reinforced our troops in areas considered as vulnerable to ensure that law and order is maintained," she said.
About 10 companies of central paramilitary forces were on their way to the western part of the state where GNLA and a host of at least four other militant groups are actively indulging themselves in criminal activities, she said.
The Home Minister has also directed the district administration to provide necessary relief to the family especially the children who witnessed the assault, molestation and execution of their mother.
Meanwhile, gun battle with the GNLA militants is on in Durama Hills range across Simsang River in East Garo Hills. About 100 specially trained commandos of the state police and the CRPF`s CoBRA have launched an attack in one of the camps of the outfit located about 20-km away from Williamnagar, the district headquarter, East Garo Hills SP Davies N Marak said.
He said there was no confirmation of any casualty on both sides even as intermittent firing is on till about 3pm.
The camp have been located deep inside the jungle and is expected to house about 40-50 terrorists and is accessible only on foot with very less telecommunication connectivity, the SP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi