Meghalaya officials leave for Home Ministry meeting
Shillong: The Union Home Ministry has summoned Meghalaya Chief Secretary WMS Pariat and Director General of Police (DGP) Kulbir Krishan besides other top officials from other states in the north east seeking their report on issues pertaining to crime against women in the state, officials said here Thursday.
Both the top officials left for the national capital today to attend the meeting scheduled for January 4 which will review the legal and statutory framework, procedural issues, implementation, disposal of cases and weakness in the laws dealing with different types of offences against women.
At the meeting, officials said, the Chief Secretaries and the DGPs would have to furnish their state’s respective status and statistics on violence against women.
The meeting was convened at the backdrop of the sensational rape and murder of the 23-year old para-medical student in New Delhi and the subsequent outburst of people condemning inadequate laws to deal with the perpetrator(s) of such heinous crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad