Meghalaya on alert for PM`s visit tomorrow
Shillong: The capital of Meghalaya has been put on security alert ahead of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh?s visit tomorrow, official sources said today.
The Prime Minister is to address an election rally of the Congress at the Polo grounds here which would be attended by candidates and party workers from Khasi and Jaintia Hills region.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi is scheduled to address rallies in Jowai and Tura on February 19 and the party vice president Rahul Gandhi will campaign at Nongpoh, Nongstoin and Williamnagar the following day.
Special teams of the Special Protection Guards are in the city to foresee the security preparedness for the Prime Minister’s visit and for the tour of the other VVIPs as well, home department officials said.
All police stations and outposts throughout the state have also been put on alert as per procedure ahead of the elections, they said.
Meanwhile, Meghalaya Chief Secretary W M S Pariat today proceeded on 15-day leave as his brother-in-law is one of the 341 contenders for the February 23 assembly elections in the state, official sources said.
The Chief Secretary has taken a 15-day leave as per the directive of the Election Commission of India and to ensure a free and fair election in the state, sources close to the Chief Secretary said.
Additional Chief Secretary P B O Warjri has taken over charge until February 28, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?