Meghalaya oppn leader alleges reducing security
Shillong: Leader of the Opposition in Meghalaya assembly Conrad K Sangma today alleged that his security was downgraded.
Conrad said he noticed the changes in security cover after he returned from New Delhi last evening.
Terming it as an act of `insult to the post` he held, Conrad said, "His securitymen were given obsolete .303 riffles instead of the modern INSAS riffles previously provided to them."
The state police denied any such move. "There is no question of reducing security cover to Leader of the Opposition," Director General of Police N Ramachandran said.
He said security to all MLAs from Garo Hills region has been increased in view of the apparent threat from the Garo Hills-based Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA).
Asked on the weapon change, Ramachandran said, "There is no such instruction to change weapons and if there is any, that is internal arrangement within the department."
Security cover for Leader of Opposition was upgraded from X to Y category in August last year in the wake of increasing militant activities in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what