Meghalaya oppn leader alleges reducing security
Shillong: Leader of the Opposition in Meghalaya assembly Conrad K Sangma today alleged that his security was downgraded.
Conrad said he noticed the changes in security cover after he returned from New Delhi last evening.
Terming it as an act of `insult to the post` he held, Conrad said, "His securitymen were given obsolete .303 riffles instead of the modern INSAS riffles previously provided to them."
The state police denied any such move. "There is no question of reducing security cover to Leader of the Opposition," Director General of Police N Ramachandran said.
He said security to all MLAs from Garo Hills region has been increased in view of the apparent threat from the Garo Hills-based Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA).
Asked on the weapon change, Ramachandran said, "There is no such instruction to change weapons and if there is any, that is internal arrangement within the department."
Security cover for Leader of Opposition was upgraded from X to Y category in August last year in the wake of increasing militant activities in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Half the town is gone, says Amatrice mayor as 6.2-magnitude earthquake strikes central Italy; toll rises to 14
- Katrina Kaif and Varun Dhawan to go dancing in 'ABCD 3'?
- Gadkari to meet FM Jaitley today for vehicle scrapping policy
- Hot scoop! THIS actress has replaced Alia Bhatt in Rohit Shetty's next?
- Argentina coach Edgardo Bauza keen on reducing Lionel Messi's workload