Meghalaya oppn leader alleges reducing security
Shillong: Leader of the Opposition in Meghalaya assembly Conrad K Sangma today alleged that his security was downgraded.
Conrad said he noticed the changes in security cover after he returned from New Delhi last evening.
Terming it as an act of `insult to the post` he held, Conrad said, "His securitymen were given obsolete .303 riffles instead of the modern INSAS riffles previously provided to them."
The state police denied any such move. "There is no question of reducing security cover to Leader of the Opposition," Director General of Police N Ramachandran said.
He said security to all MLAs from Garo Hills region has been increased in view of the apparent threat from the Garo Hills-based Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA).
Asked on the weapon change, Ramachandran said, "There is no such instruction to change weapons and if there is any, that is internal arrangement within the department."
Security cover for Leader of Opposition was upgraded from X to Y category in August last year in the wake of increasing militant activities in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town