Meghalaya oppn leader alleges reducing security
Shillong: Leader of the Opposition in Meghalaya assembly Conrad K Sangma today alleged that his security was downgraded.
Conrad said he noticed the changes in security cover after he returned from New Delhi last evening.
Terming it as an act of `insult to the post` he held, Conrad said, "His securitymen were given obsolete .303 riffles instead of the modern INSAS riffles previously provided to them."
The state police denied any such move. "There is no question of reducing security cover to Leader of the Opposition," Director General of Police N Ramachandran said.
He said security to all MLAs from Garo Hills region has been increased in view of the apparent threat from the Garo Hills-based Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA).
Asked on the weapon change, Ramachandran said, "There is no such instruction to change weapons and if there is any, that is internal arrangement within the department."
Security cover for Leader of Opposition was upgraded from X to Y category in August last year in the wake of increasing militant activities in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley