Meghalaya Oppn slams move against `unauthorised` churches
Shillong: Opposition NCP in Meghalaya today
slammed the state government for dubbing half a dozen churches
as `unauthorised` and initiating an exercise to verify the
The government was "playing with religious sentiments,"
opposition leader Conrad Sangma said and condemned the move.
"The government should settle the issue at the earliest.
If required the land should be handed over to the churches.
There are many other illegal structures against whom the
government should act," Sangma said.
He said the administration did not realise that
describing churches as "unauthorised has hurt religious
sentiments in the district where Baptists constitute a huge
chunk of the population."
In a recent communique? to urban planning officials, the
district administration of West Garo Hills sought an "on spot
inspection and verification of six unauthorised churches in
The administration sought details like year of
construction, area occupied, area encroached of the churches,
mostly located in Tura and Dakupgre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets