Meghalaya police bust militant GNLA Hqs
Shillong: Meghalaya Police have busted the headquarters and a training camp of the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) in stepped up operations against militants in the state.
Two GNLA camps, one of them believed to be the
headquarters of the nascent militant outfit formed by a
deserter DSP of Meghalaya Police was busted during the joint
operations in East Garo Hills, West Garo Hills and South Garo
Hills districts in the last one week, Superintendent of Police
S Nongtnger said.
"The militants fled before the police arrived. The
camps were destroyed and booby traps neutralised," he said.
A Chinese grenade was seized, he said.
In a separate operation, a cadre of the Liberation Achik Elite Force was shot dead by police at Shahlang in West Khasi Hills district.
Police said a trap was laid for the militants to whom
two businessmen from Shahlang were to deliver Rs 7 lakh at
When four militants arrived to collect the money they
were challenged by the police, he said.
In the encounter that followed one of the militants
was killed while the others fled, police sources said.
A country made revolver a demand note of Rs 7 lakh
were found from the possession of the unidentified slain
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre