Meghalaya police bust militant GNLA Hqs
Shillong: Meghalaya Police have busted the headquarters and a training camp of the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) in stepped up operations against militants in the state.
Two GNLA camps, one of them believed to be the
headquarters of the nascent militant outfit formed by a
deserter DSP of Meghalaya Police was busted during the joint
operations in East Garo Hills, West Garo Hills and South Garo
Hills districts in the last one week, Superintendent of Police
S Nongtnger said.
"The militants fled before the police arrived. The
camps were destroyed and booby traps neutralised," he said.
A Chinese grenade was seized, he said.
In a separate operation, a cadre of the Liberation Achik Elite Force was shot dead by police at Shahlang in West Khasi Hills district.
Police said a trap was laid for the militants to whom
two businessmen from Shahlang were to deliver Rs 7 lakh at
When four militants arrived to collect the money they
were challenged by the police, he said.
In the encounter that followed one of the militants
was killed while the others fled, police sources said.
A country made revolver a demand note of Rs 7 lakh
were found from the possession of the unidentified slain
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report