Meghalaya private university under scanner
Shillong: Another private university in Meghalaya, the Mahatma Gandhi University, is under the scanner of the state government after complaints were received about its functioning, Chief Minister Mukul Sangma said on Wednesday.
"There are other private universities under the scanner of the government and the Mahatma Gandhi University is one of them," Mukul told reporters after the Cabinet meeting which was held on Wednesday.
The Chief Minister said the education department through its regulatory board was examining the functioning of the university and other universities to streamline their functioning.
The board, headed by L Roy, has already submitted its report on the anomalies in the CMJ University and has begun probing the Mahatma Gandhi University, the report of which will be submitted by May 24.
Mahatma Gandhi University is one of the eight self financed universities which were established through an act of the Meghalaya legislature in the past five years.
Meanwhile, the state police was closing in on Chandra Mohan Jha, the self-appointed Chancellor of the CMJ University, who has gone into hiding since the anomalies in the CMJ University was made public earlier in May. A local court has awarded a non-bailable warrant against Jha.
Police have arrested two top officials of the university in connection with an FIR lodged by the Governor`s secretariat while Jha and two of his close aides – director Manjeet Kaur and HR manager Juban Kharpuri – are on the run.
Established in 2009, the CMJ University has allegedly awarded a record number of 434 PhD degrees in the past one year apart from registering 490 more PhD scholars during the same year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Islamic State selling sex slaves on Facebook for $8,000
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report