Meghalaya Speaker`s reply on scribe assault sought
New Delhi: Following a complaint that a photo
journalist had been allegedly assaulted by a Meghalaya MLA,
Press Council of India chief Markandey Katju on Monday sought
response from the state assembly Speaker so that further
action can be taken in this regard.
In a letter to Meghalaya Assembly Speaker Charles
Pyngrope, Katju said he had received a complaint from Indian
Journalist Union about an alleged assault on a photo
journalist by a legislator in the hill state.
"It is alleged that a photo journalist, Walton Hilton,
was attacked by MLA Founder Strong Cajee because he had taken
a photograph of him in the Assembly. As a result of this
attack, the photographer had to be hospitalised in Shillong,"
the PCI chief said.
Katju said if the complaint was true, it constituted a
serious violation of the freedom of Press, which was
guaranteed under Article 19 (1)(a) of the Constitution.
"Please give your response to this letter at the earliest
so Press Council may take further action in the matter," the
On March 19, Walton was allegedly assaulted by the
Congress MLA from Mawlai constituency in the Meghalaya
Assembly premises after a photograph showing him taking a nap
during the state Assembly session appeared in a couple of
While Leader of Opposition in Meghalaya Assembly Conrad K
Sangma had termed the incident as "unfortunate", the Speaker
had threatened action against the erring legislator under the
An FIR had also been lodged with the Shillong police in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered